Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Don't Confine God


I should read Revelation 1:9-18 often.  Every time I do, my God gets bigger to me.  Just listen…


“I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me.  And when I turned I saw among the lampstands was someone like a son of man, dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest.  His head and hair were white like wool, as while as snow and his eyes were like blazing fire.  His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sounds of rushing waters.  His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.  I fell at his feet as through dead…”


History doesn’t record the circumference of Honi’s circle, but it really doesn’t matter.  All we know is that it was big enough for him to step into and to pray.  I’m really grateful Honi didn’t tell us what size to make the circle, or we would do what most people do with directives--we would start focusing on the size and shape and forget the purpose.


Honi’s circle was drawn by him as a specific place for him to go and pray with one sole purpose: to determine the size of his God. He didn’t need an acre or a football field--there was enough of God in Honi’s circle to reverse a life-threatening drought.


On Super Bowl Sunday in 1987 I found out how big my God was.  I pastored a church that was bankrupt when I arrived. Not because the people didn’t love God, but because of debt incurred by unwise decisions.  God still loved the church, but although I tried my best, I couldn’t turn things around.  So I prayed.  And I prayed some more.


Then God instructed me to tell the church we would build!  Yes, build--with no money!  I wish I had time to tell you the whole story, but let me tell you how BIG my God was and still is.  When I announced God’s plan that day, 114 people committed to give $400,000, and it all came in—in just 90 days.


Don’t tell me God is small!  And when I say my God is big, let me assure you I’m not speaking of the stature of my God. He isn’t confined to space.  There’s enough God on the end of a pinhead to heal your body, save your children, fix your marriage, answer your question, solve your dilemma, change this nation, protect Israel, meet your need, calm your fears, keep you from bankruptcy, give you 20/20 eye sight, feed the hungry…and anything else you can think of!


Don’t let the size of your circle determine the size of your God! Draw your circle,step in, and pray. There will always be enough of Him for whatever you face.


I’ll meet you at the Throne,


Pastor George   

No comments:

Post a Comment