Tuesday, January 11, 2011

2011/ Day 2: Fasting and Furious

It is interesting how slow time passes when I’m fasting.   A regular lunch hour flies by when I’m eating with Cheryl or friends, but take food away and it DRAGS by.  I’ve discovered that I live my life FAST and FURIOUS!  Webster defines ‘furious’ as “passionately angry, violent, frantic.”  Trust me, I’m not struggling with the passionately angry or violent parts, but living franticly, that’s another subject. 

I regret to say that my life is often like the movie…Fast and Furious!  I want things now and I will do whatever I need to “get it now”.  The problem lies in the fact that’s not the way it works.  The calendar teaches me that seasons control what happens on this planet.  Winter (barrenness) turns to spring, spring (planting) to summer, summer (growth) to fall, fall (harvest) turns to winter.  And the cycle begins again. 

By living a fast and furious life, I miss what God is trying to do in the development of me.  I’m so busy trying to get to the next level that I miss the meaning behind the struggles, issues, circumstances and dilemmas I’m facing.  But I don’t want to miss the real purpose, so I must slow down.

Today, the second day of my fast, I feel the brakes being applied by the Holy Spirit to my spirit.  The desire for food is less today than it was last night watching the National Championship Football game!  (I believe every commercial was about FOOD... greasy & gooey!)  But today, food isn’t nearly as important as slowing down to hear the voice of my Friend, Jesus.

Whatever God is doing in you and me, He will take His time and work consistently to achieve the spiritual results of His purpose.  Sit back and enjoy the ride…it doesn’t have to be FAST and FURIOUS to be exciting.  It can be slow and methodical, producing the thrill of a lifetime.  Read Ecclesiastes Chapter 3 and Selah (pause and reflect).    

I’ll meet you at the Throne,
Pastor George

No comments:

Post a Comment