Thursday, January 13, 2011

Don't Forget to Rest

Aren't you glad that when God created the world He put in a day of rest? (Gen. 2:3)  He understood from the beginning that man would have a hard time making himself rest, so He ordered a day for nothing other than to selah (pause & reflect). 

Today is Cheryl’s and my Sabbath, the day we rest from our daily routine.  For six days, I give myself to God's work, but Thursdays, I let my body, mind, and spirit rest from the pressures of life and ministry.  In a culture that never stops, our loving heavenly Father preordained the necessity of every human being having to recharge their batteries.

When you fast from food, you are allowing your body’s digestive system to rest from its normal routine.  And if you're fasting something other than food, you are resting your senses from the normal stimulation that activity produces.  In either case, rest is good.

But there is one very important aspect to fasting which we cannot forget.  To fast without acknowledging our Creator and His Word to us, is nothing more than a diet.  Sadly, too many followers of Jesus believe they are involved in spiritual disciplines when they are only going through the motions.  Please read Isaiah 58 today and see exactly what I'm talking about.  The prophet addresses people who were fasting, but ignoring God and His directives.  Those who were just going through the motions caused God great displeasure.

Why is this important to me?  Attitude...only God and I know my heart.  I must be very careful NOT to become religious, but remain relational with my God.  

Let this fasting season take you to a place in your relationship where you will find rest.  That is what God wants!

I'll meet you at the throne,
Pastor George   

No comments:

Post a Comment