Monday, January 17, 2011

2011/ Day 8: What God’s Word and Bread DON’T Have in Common!

I often find myself saying as I begin my daily time with Jesus, “Lord, I need a fresh word from you!”  The meaning of my request is simply, "Give me something I haven’t seen or understood for the situation or circumstances I’m facing in life or ministry today!"

Though I don’t believe my intentions are wrong when I make this request, I often forget the magnitude of the God I serve.  Some questions may be helpful in understanding what I mean.
·         Isn’t God omniscient, knowing all things?
·         Hasn’t He worked with millions of individuals before me?
·         Doesn’t He know the basic issues of humanity, including mine?
·         Doesn’t God know everything about my life?
·         Are my situations beyond what God has instructed in His Word?
·         Will the Holy Spirit speak to me personally today?

When I take the time to process these realities of God, I find that an attentive ear and open heart will always find freshness for my soul.  A word God spoke two or three thousand years ago can be as fresh for the soul as one spoken today.  It’s when life’s circumstance and God’s Truth meet that you receive something fresh. 

Never equate God’s Word with a loaf of bread.  After a few days, bread becomes hard and stale, but God’s Word remains fresh and tasty after thousands of years.  Keep eating God’s Word during this fast and you will understand as Jesus did, “I have food to eat that you know nothing about.” (John 4:32).  

I’ll meet you at the Throne,

Pastor George

No comments:

Post a Comment