Saturday, January 29, 2011

2011/ Day 20: Was It Worth It?

There are many biblical principles which don’t make common sense. Things like: the weak are strong (11 Corinthians 12:10), the last are first (Mark 10:31), the humble are exalted (Luke 1:52), and give and it will be given to you (Luke 6:38).

Fasting seems to me to fit exactly with this concept. Giving up food, TV, computers, internet access, newspapers, exercise routine, are just a few of the things that I’ve hear individuals in our congrgation have relinquished to get closer to the Lord. But does it work all the time? Does God have to respond? Is this just an old spiritual discipline still touted in our modern society?

Those questions are all grounded in one simple belief: Do you believe God’s Word is infallible? The term infallible means: “incapable of error, not liable to mislead, deceive, or disappoint, incapable of error in defining doctrines touching faith or morals.” (Merriam-Webster dictionary)

Everything I do as a follower of Jesus rests on whether or not I believe what I read in the Bible. This post-modern culture tells me there are no absolutes to be trust in. The culture holds fast to the belief that the strong always overtake the weak, the last can never be first, the humble will never be exalted, and keeping makes you richer.

God isn’t afraid of my doubts. In fact, He encourages me to test Him (Malachi 3:10). If there is one truth I’ve learned in my fasting, it is that faith and fasting go hand in hand! I serve a God who requires my faith to be activated if I’m going to please and receive from Him (Hebrews 11:6).

Has this fasting done any good? Absolutely!  These 21 days have been a personal investment in developing my faith and I know I’m stronger than when I started. It’s reinforced my faith, strengthened my commitment, satisfied my soul, and crushed my flesh. Did I like it? Not every day. But, has it been worth it? Without a doubt!

Oh, by the way, I can say like Paul, “I can do everything (including fasting 21 days) through Him who gives me strength.” (Philippians 4:13)

I’ll meet you at the Throne,
Pastor George

No comments:

Post a Comment