Thursday, January 27, 2011

2011/ Day 18: Bait and Switch

Don't you hate it when the old bait-and-switch scheme is pulled on you?  Cheryl spoke with a local business and was promised a significant discount on a product.  When we arrived at the business and spoke with the service provider this morning, they couldn't and wouldn't honor the offer.  Bummer!!!

This experience had me wondering if I have ever done the bait-and-switch with people.  When I was growing up, a man’s honor was his word, but has that been true of me?

As I walked out of that business this morning, I also asked myself, "Have I ever done the old bait-and-switch with God?"  Have I made promises to Him and then not kept them because it wasn't convenient or comfortable in my situation? 

Did you see American Idol last night (Wed. 1/26)?  The very last contestant was a young man who was engaged to be married.  Two weeks before the wedding, his fiancée was in a terrible automobile accident, which left her with severe brain damage.  When asked why he stayed in the relationship, he replied, "I was just two weeks away from making the promise to love her for better or worse, and I couldn't walk away from her in the time she needed me the most!"  Wow! There was no bait-and-switch love with that guy.  (By the way, he's going to Hollywood!)

Thinking about that young man’s story, I asked another question: "Has God ever done the bait-and-switch with me?" ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!  I can't remember a time when either God or His Word has offered me something and then not come through.  Read Hebrews 6:13-20 to be reminded that we don't serve a bait-and-switch kind of God. 

The $64,000 question is made clear to me again: "Will I be a man of my word?"  If I'm a bait-and-switch kind of person, will I allow the Holy Spirit to change my heart and make me like the One I serve?  While fasting and praying today, would you join me and take time to ask the Holy Spirit if we've got bait-and-switch tendencies?  If we do, let's ask forgiveness so that we can be people of our word!

I'll meet you at the Throne,
Pastor George   

No comments:

Post a Comment