Friday, January 13, 2012

Day 6 What's The Big Deal With Fasting Anyway?

"What's the big deal with fasting anyway?"  
Have you been tempted to ask yourself the question in the last six days during this corporate fast,
"Why in the world am I doing this? What's the big deal with fasting anyway?"  
It's okay, God won't strike you for asking the question! I must confess that over the years I've asked the same question. Spiritual disciplines are like physical exercise--after a while, it can get monotonous and we lose interest.  But that doesn't stop trained athletes, because they know consistent training is what brings them to their peek performance.

Fasting and prayer does more for you than you think.  Here's some benefits...   

1. It builds faith.    
2. It says "no" to our flesh.    
3. It develops obedience.    
4. It shows Lordship.    
5. It creates more time for God in our lives.    
6. It builds perseverance.    
7. It tenderizes the soul.    
8. It empties self.    
9. It proves itself serious.    
10. It pleases God!

We know Jesus practiced prayer and fasting as a regular discipline. He taught it in His Sermon on the Mount.  If Jesus did it, then His disciples were taught to do it as well.  

I wonder if Peter would have gotten out of the boat without the benefits of fasting and prayer.  I wonder if he would have repented after his colossal denial of His Lord had he not fasted and prayed.  I wonder what the benefits of fasting and prayer were for the spreading of the gospel after Pentecost when they were faced with unspeakable odds, yet in obedience they took the message of a resurrected Christ everywhere!

You may not know right now what the benefits of fasting are, but there will come a day when you will look back and say, "I'm glad I disciplined myself and learned to fast!"

I'll meet you at the Throne,
Pastor George

No comments:

Post a Comment