Friday, January 27, 2012

Day 20 How Do You Feel?

It's Day 20 of our 21-day fast and you're almost at the finish line. So...how do you feel? 

I've spoken to some who feel invigorated while others are exhausted.

How should you feel?  Is either one wrong?  Absolutely not!  Our fasting hasn't been about how we feel, but about our obedience to divine direction. 

Fasting is to the soul what physical exercise is to the body.  You may not always see results. For every 30 minutes of daily exercise you do, doctors say you add two days to your life span. As for fasting, Paul tells young Timothy, "Physical training is good, but training for godliness is much better, promising benefits in this life and the life to come" (1 Tim. 4:8).

I love to exercise; it's been a passion of mine for years.  I'm a member at a local health club where I try to visit three times a week for my personal sanity and health benefits.  I have made that part of my fasting these 21 days.  I've missed exercising as much as the absence of food.

Physical training is good, but what really matters is that my personal godliness has increased, which benefits me both here and in the hereafter. 

How has it benefited me now?
  •        I've been obedient to my Savior's command.
  •        My flesh knows it's not number one, God's word is.       
  •        I've spent extra time in God's presence.
  •        I know my efforts are not in vain.
  •        I fasted all 21 days; I finished what I started!

But what are the eternal benefits?  Only God knows what's been done through my obedience as I've interceded for individuals, our church, and our nation.  Prayer is my privilege, but the outcome is God's responsibility. I must leave all I've done in His hands, trusting that eternity will reveal all that's been accomplished.

Don't try to look for outcomes. If they occur, great! But if they don't, remember your fasting and prayer is a personal offering unto your God. You have done it for eternal purposes and not just for what you can account for at this moment.

So how do you feel now?  Hopefully you are encouraged knowing God has witnessed your best gift of obedience. One day you'll hear your Savior say, "Well done!"

I'll meet you at the Throne,
Pastor George

No comments:

Post a Comment