Monday, January 16, 2012

Day 9 Big Blessings Can Come In Small Ways!

Today I made a visit to the hospital to visit one of our men who was undergoing a cardio test.  After our visit, I stepped onto the elevator with a woman who was also leaving. As the door opened on the first floor, I motioned for her to exit before me.  She then spoke the following words:
"There are still gentlemen left on this planet."
It wasn't an act of chivalry. My father drilled into me that women were to be honored and shown respect at all times.  It happened without thought, just personal courtesy and instinct.  Her comment was appreciated but not necessary.

But as I walked from the hospital lobby, I couldn't help but think how kind acts make a noticeable difference when least expected.  Who would have thought that allowing a person to exit an elevator first would be met with such appreciation, but it did. 

And then I wondered, "What if we lived our lives with more intentionality toward others?"  I ask God constantly to allow me to be a blessing, wanting to make some major difference in the life of another. Today I was reminded that we can be a blessing in small ways, with just a simple act of kindness that can be so meaningful to someone else.

Jesus touched those who were looking for Him. He found them in a moment, and with the kindness of His words or actions, He made such a difference that they were never the same. 

His conversation at a well changed a woman's life forever. 
His visit to grieving sisters returned their dead brother. 
His sensitivity to the touch of a sick woman brought her total transformation. 

Why?  Because Jesus sought to live His life with others in mind, and His encounters with them were intentional. When you pray to be a blessing, don't place restrictions on how big or small that blessing may be.  Allow the simplest, intentional act to be what Jesus would do, and see how others will assess your presence in their life.

I went to the hospital to be a blessing in the life of one of our men, but ended up being one to a women I'd never met; all because I simply allowed her to exit an elevator before me.  Jesus gets the glory, no matter if the blessing we are to others is big or small.

I'll meet you at the Throne,
Pastor George


No comments:

Post a Comment