Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Day 3 Some of the Best Sermons Are Preached From a Casket

Of all my pastoral duties, there are few I love more than giving a memorial service for a child of God.  Today I had the privilege to conduct the celebration of a woman, wife, mother and grandmother. Married at 16, she just celebrated their 70th wedding anniversary, and only her love for Jesus eclipsed her matrimonial glow.
Now rewind two weeks with me. 
I sat in a Hospice room with this sister in Christ and we talked of her years of commitment to her Savior.  She shared stories of her labors of love serving others: duplicating cassette tapes and CDs of gospel music and teaching materials for others to enjoy; preparing meals where neighbors were invited so the Good News of her Savior could be shared at her table; visiting hospitals and nursing homes so that she could being cheer to others--cheer that I now shared at her bedside.
For most at the service today she was a good lady, loving and faithful to her family. But to me she was another Mother Teresa--a saintly figure I felt strongly inadequate to properly eulogize.
What makes a woman of that stature?  Was it her DNA?  She didn't come from a strongly religious family.  A great pastor? Wonderful Sunday School teacher?  A powerful church?  None of those were ever mentioned.  But what she did convey over and over was the love she enjoyed with her sweet and loving Savior.  She met with Him daily for wisdom, strength, forgiveness, guidance, and whatever else she declared she needed.  God was faithful in every way.
These days of fasting for many are created for spiritual discipline, but if they are really to make a difference, then we must look at these days as my saintly sister did—as opportunities to kneel before a compassionate Lord whose greatest delight is to spend time with those He created. To enjoy something so magnificent that words can barely relate.  To enjoy a love affair with the Divine that cannot be rivaled by any other human presence. Some might be saying, "There's no way I could ever achieve that level of spirituality." Don't underestimate yourself. 
I prayed the final prayer over this woman’s coffin as it was lowered into the ground today. Multitudes were touched through the simple message preached from her casket:  “If I can touch one person in Jesus’ Name, I have made a difference.”
Keep praying...you too can leave your mark on many!  And these 21 days of fasting can make a difference.
I'll meet you at the Throne,
Pastor George



No comments:

Post a Comment