Friday, March 29, 2013

Sacred or Significant?

If you’ve ever been to Jerusalem or the Holy Land you can’t help but notice that around every site where something happened during Jesus’ life and ministry has been turned into a sacred spot.  Many come to muse over the place rather than embracing the meaning.
I would agree that geography and spirituality are not unrelated when it comes to divine acts which have impacted individuals.  Israel was famous for building memorials at significant places but sacred?  I really doubt it. 
The picture of the church at the top of the page is a significant place in my life.  It was in this building on May 15, 1960 I gave my life to Jesus Christ and became His follower.  I was nine years old and it’s a day I will never forget.
The building is no longer a church but a community center, that congregation would a few years later see the building to the city of Mobile, AL and move out into the suburbs.  But that building still stands as the most significant place in my life, for there, my sins were forgiven.
Why this trip down memory lane you ask?  Simple!  There is nothing magical about the place but there is something significant about it for God met us there and we will never forget His love, acceptance, forgiveness or miracle power.  Do you think Peter forgot the Mt. of Transfiguration?  Or Saul the spot on the Damascus Road where he was struck from his horse by the bright light of our Savior’s presence?  Every time Zacchaeus walked by that Sycamore tree don’t you think there was a flashback to that special day when Jesus stopped and called him down?
Your prayer spot, that place which you’ve deemed your prayer circle for these 40 days should become a significant place you will visit many times to come and as your prayers are answered, just remember, the God who did it back then will do it again today!
I’ll meet you at the throne,
Pastor George

No comments:

Post a Comment