Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Put Up Your Dukes

I’m not sure if I should tell you this but I will because of what I want to say to you today.  Here it goes!  Ready? 
I’ve never been in a physical fight before.  I’ve never duked it out with anyone.  I’ve never been in an altercation that came to blows.
I guess it’s the macho man inside of me that’s having a hard time saying it.  My mother raised a “lover” not a “fighter.”  Better yet, my dad told me that if I ever got into a fight I would have to face him and that was enough of a deterrent.
Let me throw you one more curve while I’m at it; God can throw a mean upper-cut when He has to!  Yes, God has no problem fighting and in fact, fights on a daily basis!
David, the giant slayer wrote these words; “Contend for me, my God and Lord” (Ps.35:23 NIV).
This word ‘contend’ describes two ways to fight: physically and verbally. 
We all know what a mother bear will do when you mess with her cubs; she comes out fighting.  A good defense attorney is no different than a mother bear, except the fight is with words.
Has it ever dawned on you that two members of the Godhead are fighters? 
The Holy Spirit doesn’t fight with fists but “intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express” (Romans 8:26). Before your feet hit the floor this morning you were on Holy Spirit’s mind and He was engaged in intercession for you.
Jesus Christ is also in our corner, fighting for us!  He is standing at the right hand of the Father advocating our case on a daily basis, better than any defense attorney could ever do.
When we live righteously we can count on our God providing the proper defense against any accusation by our accusers.  And when the verdict is read; “Not guilty,” just remember who protected you and allow David’s words to be yours too…
“Lord, you have seen this; do not be silent.
    Do not be far from me, Lord.
   Awake, and rise to my defense!
    Contend for me, my God and Lord.
   Vindicate me in your righteousness, Lord my God;
    do not let them gloat over me.
 Do not let them think, “Aha, just what we wanted!”
    or say, “We have swallowed him up.”
   May all who gloat over my distress
    be put to shame and confusion;
may all who exalt themselves over me
    be clothed with shame and disgrace.
   May those who delight in my vindication
    shout for joy and gladness;
may they always say, “The Lord be exalted,
    who delights in the well-being of his servant.”
 My tongue will proclaim your righteousness,
    your praises all day long.”  (Psalm 35:22-28)

I’ll meet you at the throne,
Pastor George

No comments:

Post a Comment