Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Senior Moments

Memory is a remarkable thing.  Our brain is wired to extract concepts, truths, decisions, and observations from our surroundings and then it plug it into a memory bank for later reference.
When that memory begins to wane, and it will, we have “senior moments” affectionately taken from those advanced in years.  Before I’m scolded by readers older than me (I’m 61), let me be perfectly clear, people my age and younger can have “senior moments” too!
Memory alone should not be valued, rather we should value what we do with the wisdom and understanding we’ve gained through the years and stored in our mind and memory.  Many older than me have forgotten more than I will ever know, but what they know and live are what I’m impressed with.
Abraham was seventy-five when he heard God and left his home.  Moses was eighty when he knelt barefoot in front of a burning bush where his heart and soul was warmed.  Anna was in her eighties when she saw the Messiah and remembered what God had promised through the prophets.
We must not fall into the trap of believing that somehow Abraham, Moses, Anna and any other biblical character were more spiritual and thus different from us.  They were NOT!  Age has nothing to do with it, neither does IQ or memory.  Faith is activated when we believe God will do for us what He did for them.
When you step into your circle today, don’t let a senior moment keep you from believing “Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever” (Heb. 13:8).  Pray expecting…God will do the rest.
I’ll meet you at the throne,
Pastor George 

No comments:

Post a Comment