Friday, March 22, 2013

Dumb Question?








 



A common question heard in a learning environment is; “anyone go a question?”  The teacher asks it to be sure the students are clear on the subject.

I on the other hand struggled when that question was asked for fear that I would ask a dumb question, or what I thought would be evaluated by others a dumb and ultimately show how much I didn’t know.

I was reading the other day and read one of Jesus’ miracles which made me think even Jesus asked a dumb question.  One of Jesus’ disciples could have thought it was a dumb question and that’s why he remembered it and would leave it for generations to ponder spiritually.

Jesus is walking through Jericho one day and two blind guys shout out to him; “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on us!”  (Matt. 20:32)  Intrigued, Jesus engages them with what I think was a dumb quest, “what do you want me to do for you?”

Daaaaaaaaa…their blind!  Jesus heals!  Why ask them what they want?  Jesus should have known the answer shouldn’t he?

How many times do we pray and not have a specific request.  I started thinking about my prayer life and realized how often I’ve prayed vaguely not getting specific enough with God.  The blind guys could have been hungry and wanted food, or naked and needed clothes.  They may have been content to be blind and so Jesus wanted clarity so He could give them what they wanted.

Then the Holy Spirit quickened my thinking and I realize that I often don’t get specific because my faith doesn’t really believe Jesus will answer.  Our spiritual guide Mark Batterson says it like this; 

“The more faith we have, the more specific our prayers will be.  And the more specific our prayers are, the more glory God receives.”

Jesus didn’t ask a dumb question, He just wanted to see if the two blind guys knew what they wanted!

Pray with specificity!  Don’t be vague!  Yes, God is all knowing but He wants you and me to know what we really need and ask.

Keep praying!

I’ll meet you at the throne,

Pastor George


No comments:

Post a Comment