Friday, March 8, 2013

Cage Fight


A person of prayer quickly learns one powerful truth about this spiritual discipline, praying isn’t the path of least resistance, it usually the path of most resistance.  Why?  Prayer is spiritual warfare!

As one pastor put it; “When people begin to intercede for others, they better make sure others are interceding for them.”

Honi just might be one of the first cage fighters without the cage.  When he stepped into the circle he was ready to fight whatever must be fought to get rain.  When we step inside our prayer circles each day there will be many opponents, but none worse than time.

Daniel was cut from the same bolt of cloth as Honi.  He found out what cage fighting was all about one day when he was dropped literally into a cage with lions.  His prayer life was already effective which produce the transformation of lions into felines.  

Daniel prayed this simple prayer that just might be worth your time to pray also.  When he understood the severity of Jerusalem’s punishment he prayed; “O Lord, pay attention and act.  Delay not, for your own sake, O my God” (Dan. 9:19 ESV).

It has dawned on me recently how often I put at the end of my prayer the urgent ASAP (as soon as possible).  Pondering why I do that, I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m trying to hurry God up rather than trusting him for His perfect timing.  Honi’s focused on the answer and allowed God to focus on the timing.  We tend to focus on the timing and expect God to figure it all out for us.

Honi has taught me this simple reality when he entered my prayer circle, be willing to pray ALAT (as long as it takes) God, I’ll stay till I see rain.  That is changing my whole perspective.

So as you pray today, cease and desist the ASAP praying and be willing to pray ALAT.

I’ll meet you at the throne,

Pastor George

1 comment: