Saturday, March 9, 2013

Cultivating Your Prayer Life

Prayer seems to come easy to my mother, you ask her to pray and time stops for her.  She could care less about what’s happening next.  She seems to get lost in her prayer world.  I’m envious of that about her!

Why is she that way?  I’m not sure if I know the answer.  It’s not that God loves her more or that she’s gifted to speak.  I think she has cultivated this prayer life growing up during the end of the depression when life required an element of faith unlike anything we’ve known, unless we’ve been diagnosed with a terminal disease.

I grew up hearing my mother pray early in the mornings.  As a child in elementary school, we lived in a small house with all the rooms very close together.  It was as if the Holy Spirit was my alarm clock rousing me just in time to hear my mother pray; “Holy Spirit, convict George of his sin today!”  I’m 61 years old and I still hear her voice when I awake every morning.

Dr. Luke records the vision of Cornelius as he prayed.  Cornelius questioned what he saw and heard and the angel replied; “Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God” (Acts 10:4).

This obscure verse tells us that nothing is obscure to God.  What you pray and what you give to the poor is tallied by God.  Our prayers and giving is precious to God.  God does not have the capacity to forget your prayers nor will they go unanswered.

Mark Batterson says it like this; “Every prayer we utter is like the marble stones used in the building of the Washington Monument or Lincoln-Memorial.  When we pray, we are building a monument to God, a memorial to Him.” 

Keep building…

I’ll meet you at the throne,

Pastor George

No comments:

Post a Comment