Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Being Full on an Empty Stomach


My blog title is an oxymoron; how can you be full on an empty stomach?  No, it’s no riddle to ruffle your mind, I believe it to be a valid spiritual question.
The basis of my thought is found in the most challenging of spiritual disciplines, fasting.  Giving up food for the purpose of prayer attacks our most basic need, daily nourishment, which is required for the energy needed to function in life.  But Jesus taught that there will be issues and circumstances that we cannot handle without prayer and fasting.
In his book The Circle Maker, Mark Batterson calls this the ‘double circle.’  Honi’s circle of prayer is now surrounded with another circle of fasting for emphasis. 
Man’s problem with fasting isn’t lack of desire but willpower.  When you fast you are saying in essence, “if I can say no to food then I can say no to other forms of temptations too!”
Because of my love for food I tend to think about what I can’t have or don’t have rather than what fasting feeds me.  It feeds my spiritual inner-man, it breaks down my pride, my will, and even my strongholds.  But at the same time it feeds my soul by regaining the longing for sensitivity to the Holy Spirit.
As we pray our way to Easter, may we remember that prayer alone is not enough . There will be times we need to empty our stomach so we can be full of the Spirit.  Choosing seasons of brokenness will allow God to fill and build you back up in the power of the Holy Spirit. 
Jesus knew what being full on an empty stomach was like.  After 40 days of prayer and fasting, Jesus emerged from the wilderness in a weakened state physically, but in the power of the Holy Spirit.
I’ll meet you at the throne,
Pastor George

No comments:

Post a Comment